Skip to main content

Let's Look: HOW WE KEEP HEALTHY

A few bloggers I admire, Shay and Erika, do a monthly "Let's Look" series where they talk about a certain topic and give their hints, tricks and a peek into how they handle every day life! I absolutely love reading this series, so I'm linking up with them today! 


Today's topic is How We Keep Healthy! Keeping healthy is something I have to really work on, because I can sometimes let laziness get the best of me and good intentions go to the wayside. I think Shay hit the nail on the head when she said healthy really boils around luck. Some times people face horrible health obstacles both mentally and physically, but today I'm going to touch on a very broad approach of the habits I try to keep to stay healthy

1. Drink Lots of Water - Every day, I fill up this large 64 ounce bottle with filtered water and take it with me throughout the day. I'll admit, it's a lot of water to get through every day. In the morning when I first wake up a drink a glass of water before having my morning tea. I drink water with every meal to keep adding to the goal of at least 64 ounces of water each day. Of course, I will still drink a soda every now and then, but I try to leave those for a weekend treat. 



2. Exercise - This is a hard one for me. I have an Apple watch which I rely on to make sure I get up and move a little each hour and try to meet a daily minimum active calorie burn. When I work out, it's usually at home after dinner and currently my goal is to work out 5 days a week. I could use some work in this area with consistency. 

3. Diet - Currently my husband, Matt, and I are on the keto diet. Cutting our carbs and sugar seems to help us both immensely meet our goal weight. I struggle with cravings, but cooking all meals at home and taking my lunch to work really helps. Cooking at home allows me to control the ingredients, avoids temptation of good looking menu photos and is also cheaper. I grow a large garden and we raise our own steers for butcher. We are able to control how many of our vegetables are grown and they quality of our beef by doing those two things. 



4. Supplements - The pandemic is what encouraged me to take a look at getting some daily vitamins and minerals into my body. I started taking vitamins C and D, turmeric, and magnesium on a daily basis. 

5. Limit Depressing News - The past several months, I have started limiting the amount of news I consume. In the past, you could have called me a news junkie. I always have the news on the tv in the background at home, listen to talk radio on my drive and podcasts during workouts. I have limited the amount of time I listen to all of those things and shifted my podcasts to those who talk about homemaking, life hacks and early retirement rather than current events. 

6. Being Smart about Sun Exposure - As a teenager, I was a tanning bed addict. I worked at a tanning salon for several years in high school and that's where it started and continued until my early 30's off and on. The fear of melanoma and early aging has made me quit that unhealthy practice. I now use sunscreen when working out in the yard and attending outdoor events and use a fake tanner product for that summer glow. I'll also grab a ball cap or cowboy hat to shade my face and ears when outdoors. 

7. Limiting Activities - I have discovered it's okay to enjoy spending time at home in the evenings and on the weekends without having a packed schedule. I used to feel guilty when someone would ask me on Monday what I did over the weekend and I didn't have a fun story or outing to gush about. Now, I feel okay telling them, I did nothing and it was absolutely glorious! Some weekends, I just need to read a good book, take a nap and enjoy home. 

That's pretty much all I do on a daily basis! The sweet things in life can still be enjoyed as life is about balance and moderation. 

Next month we will chat about daily cleaning! 



Comments

  1. I do a lot of these things as well! I'm all about exercise & eating well, to help achieve goals. For whatever reason, I was born thirsty (my mom reports that I've been chugging water since I was like 2 or something), so I've never struggled with drinking enough water. I always have a water flask in hand, and my coworkers comment on how I'm never without it - like a safety blanket. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just happened upon your blog and have been browsing it. This was one of my favorite link-ups this month too -- unlike you and others, I couldn't come up with a list so I piggy-backed off of Shay's :/. Anyway, hope to keep up with you :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favorites - June 23, 2023

Here's some of my favorites from the week. #1 Whoop Band I have a couple of friends that wear a Whoop band which is pretty much a health / fitness tracker but with tons more data. I've been wearing my Whoop for about a month now and using it to improve my overall health. It's helping me see where the problems are, where improvement is needed and measures overall health. These bands are worn by a lot of pro-golfers and athletes and digging into the data can help you analyze patterns so when there's a change in your norms it gives you a heads up. Some of the pro athletes noticed their respiratory rate and heart rate variability was out of their norm several days before being tested positive for COVID. Since I'm a data nerd this band has really been a favorite lately. Here's a screen shot of one day of mine; clearing improvement is needed! #2 Margaritas If you're local to the Victoria, TX, area, you have to try the margaritas at Hacienda Restaurant in front of

Hello Monday & Day in the Life - Weekend

Linking up with Hello Monday   and NJAM   for a two in one post. Recapping our weekend! Friday was Matt's birthday, so as soon as I got home for work, he opened his gift and then we met some friends for dinner at Gonzales Bistro. Talk about delicious! This is the third time we've been to this new restaurant and it never disappoints. Three of us had Alaskan halibut and one had salmon.  Saturday I spent more time working in the garden until it got super hot. We had a high of 92°F! I planted a few more pepper plants I picked up at HEB as well as some cucumber plants and seeds. I put up the trellis for the cucumbers and also decided to plant some luffa seeds and pole beans. Growing luffa and pole beans are new for me, so we'll see how it goes.  Saturday afternoon, Matt's parents were at home, so we invited them over for birthday cake. The birthday guy requested tres leches cake and it did not disappoint! I had a local bakery make it and they did a fantastic job.  Later in t

Friday Favorites July 15, 2022

It's Friday, most everyone's favorite day of the week! This week was pretty standard around our house with going to work, enjoying dinner at home each night and our in-laws even shared some bbq they made with us one evening. Here's some of my favorite things from this week! Summer Fruit Watermelons are ready in my garden and they have been such a treat to have during this hot weather. It's been over 100 degrees each day and cold watermelon from the refrigerator is so refreshing. This is the Charleston Grey watermelon variety; they are large oblong melons and very tasty!  Exercise The elliptical really is a great workout and something I can do at home. I workout after dinner in the evenings and it has been too hot out to go for a walk outside. I put in my ear buds and catch up on my podcasts and enjoy the air conditioning!  Podcasts One of my favorite podcasts lately is the Sorta Awesome podcast with Meg Tietz and her co-hosts Kelly and Rebekah. These ladies cover every