Skip to main content

Top Tips to Prepare for Vacation

We just got back from being gone for a week to a horse show and I thought, this was the perfect time to share my top tips for preparing for a vacation. I have tips for preparing your home, packing, preparing  arrangements for pets, garden prep tips and more. This list changes seasonally as obviously a summer trip tends to take more preparation for me than a winter trip on the garden front. Over the years, these tips have helped make my return to home and routine much easier. Here's how I get it all done. 




Home

Cleaning - I clean my home periodically throughout the week, so it's usually not a huge mess before leaving town. I do make sure to wash the sheets the night before departure, so I come home to fresh-er linens and will not have to change the sheets immediately. I wipe down all of the counters, put out fresh towels, dust, vacuum and mop as needed. Staying on top of the cleaning on a regular basis greatly reduces my anxiety. 

Laundry - The clothing I wear at work is not the same I wear on vacation. Some items cross paths, but generally I tend to all of the dirty laundry before departure. When I return, I have clean clothes for work and I only have the laundry from the trip to attend to. 

Refrigerator - A week before leaving, I try to make a menu plan to use up any items that will go bad or expire while we are away. I do a refrigerator clean out on any remaining leftover items, so the refrigerator is fresh and ready for our return. I always make sure I have a quick fix meal in the freezer (pizza, skillet meal, etc.), so if we get back home late from vacation we have a plan for dinner! 

Dishes - Turn the dishwasher on the night before departure and make every effort to put away those dishes the morning I am set to leave. At a bare minimum, run the dishwasher and crack the door ajar so that the clean dishes and dishwasher to not mold while you're away. 

Trash - Do not forget to take out all of the household trash before leaving. 

Mail and Packages - Arrange for the post office to hold your mail or have a trusted friend or relative gather these items for you. I try to stop ordering things right before we leave to avoid a wave of packages delivered in our absence. 

Vehicle - If your vehicle will be at home or parked while you're away, fill it up with fuel before leaving. This makes your transition back to work on a "Monday" so much easier if you don't have to stop for gas. 

Pets

Boarding - If you're boarding your pets or arranging for a sitter, make those arrangements in advance. Space tends to book quickly around the holidays. 

Traveling w/ Pets - If you're taking your pets with you, I find it easier to pack their own bag. Include their food, collars, leashes, medications, treats, food and water dishes, and beds. Check with any place you may be going such as a hotel, state park etc., for any special requirements. 

As always, remember to put a collar on your pet with your contact information or microchip them. 

Livestock

As I have horses, I have to arrange for someone to stop by to feed and check on them. I install a timer on my water trough to turn on for 15 minutes a day to make sure they have water. The person stopping by will also check water, but should they forget, at least the water is filled. I also use a VERY large trough, so in the event the timer fails, they still have plenty of water. 

Gardens

Vegetable Garden - I do a thorough wedding before leaving, so the weed pressure is not bad after I return. I also fertilize and do any routine insecticide treatment before leaving. As with the livestock, I put my garden water on a timer to make sure it's watered well while I am away. The person checking my horses, get free picking from the garden as an extra perk! 

Flowers - The same routine is followed for the flower beds, except I do not have a timer for the beds. I water the flower beds and pots really well before departure. If the weather is really hot, I'll use a water globe in my potted plants for extra hydration. 

Packing Tips

Packing Cubes - Packing cubes are a wonderful tool to keep your suitcase organized. They also help keep clothes tidy and wrinkle free. If you unpack in your hotel or RV they also make that transition so much easier. 

Clothes - Always check the weather of your destination and pack accordingly. Count the number of days including travel so you'll pack the right amount of clothes. Consider any special outings and don't forget those special pieces (swimwear and coverups, formal wear, hiking boots, ski googles, etc.)

Heath and Beauty - I learned from Mix and Match Mama the beauty of taking a travel toothbrush and travel loofas. I find these items in the travel section of HEB or Wal-Mart. Use them on vacation and then toss them either on the last vacation day or when you get home. There's so much ick in a hotel room that I feel better tossing these items after use. Keep a list of items you plan to use the morning of departure (medication, contact lens cases, phone charges, favorite pillows, etc.) and don't forget to pack those items! 

Food - If you're traveling in an RV or living quarters horse trailer as we often do, food to stock the refrigerator and pantry on the road is a must. I prepare some easy meals for the trip like chili and cookies so I don't have to cook and do as many dishes on the road. Items such as water, soda, chips, sandwich supplies, appetizers and more I order for curbside grocery pickup. I unload my curbside order directly into the horse trailer refrigerator! Easy peasy!

Tips for Arriving Back Home

Unpack - Unpack your clothes, dirty laundry, health and beauty items and put them away. Start a load of laundry if time permits. 

Relax - As your home was prepared, you can sit down and unwind knowing you will have a smoother transition into the routine. Your dishes are clean, the refrigerator is ready for the next shopping trip and you have a meal in the freezer for a quick dinner! 

These are my must do items to prepare for vacation. What tips do you recommend to make trip preparation run smoothly? 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favorites - June 23, 2023

Here's some of my favorites from the week. #1 Whoop Band I have a couple of friends that wear a Whoop band which is pretty much a health / fitness tracker but with tons more data. I've been wearing my Whoop for about a month now and using it to improve my overall health. It's helping me see where the problems are, where improvement is needed and measures overall health. These bands are worn by a lot of pro-golfers and athletes and digging into the data can help you analyze patterns so when there's a change in your norms it gives you a heads up. Some of the pro athletes noticed their respiratory rate and heart rate variability was out of their norm several days before being tested positive for COVID. Since I'm a data nerd this band has really been a favorite lately. Here's a screen shot of one day of mine; clearing improvement is needed! #2 Margaritas If you're local to the Victoria, TX, area, you have to try the margaritas at Hacienda Restaurant in front of

Hello Monday & Day in the Life - Weekend

Linking up with Hello Monday   and NJAM   for a two in one post. Recapping our weekend! Friday was Matt's birthday, so as soon as I got home for work, he opened his gift and then we met some friends for dinner at Gonzales Bistro. Talk about delicious! This is the third time we've been to this new restaurant and it never disappoints. Three of us had Alaskan halibut and one had salmon.  Saturday I spent more time working in the garden until it got super hot. We had a high of 92°F! I planted a few more pepper plants I picked up at HEB as well as some cucumber plants and seeds. I put up the trellis for the cucumbers and also decided to plant some luffa seeds and pole beans. Growing luffa and pole beans are new for me, so we'll see how it goes.  Saturday afternoon, Matt's parents were at home, so we invited them over for birthday cake. The birthday guy requested tres leches cake and it did not disappoint! I had a local bakery make it and they did a fantastic job.  Later in t

Friday Favorites July 15, 2022

It's Friday, most everyone's favorite day of the week! This week was pretty standard around our house with going to work, enjoying dinner at home each night and our in-laws even shared some bbq they made with us one evening. Here's some of my favorite things from this week! Summer Fruit Watermelons are ready in my garden and they have been such a treat to have during this hot weather. It's been over 100 degrees each day and cold watermelon from the refrigerator is so refreshing. This is the Charleston Grey watermelon variety; they are large oblong melons and very tasty!  Exercise The elliptical really is a great workout and something I can do at home. I workout after dinner in the evenings and it has been too hot out to go for a walk outside. I put in my ear buds and catch up on my podcasts and enjoy the air conditioning!  Podcasts One of my favorite podcasts lately is the Sorta Awesome podcast with Meg Tietz and her co-hosts Kelly and Rebekah. These ladies cover every